Friday, July 6, 2012

6 Weeks of Dermatology... Complete!

Where has the time gone?! I finished my first rotation in Dermatology last week and while I have not enjoyed being 4 hours from my home and loved ones, I LOVED Derm!

The staff at Hermitage Dermatology were amazing! Everyone was very welcoming and willing teach me whatever they could. I honestly dreaded moving so far from home, but everyone there made it a wonderful, worthwhile experience. Thank you! 


Most people believe that Dermatology is a boring specialty and that all you do is look at rashes. I can't lie... there were a lot of rashes!  But to our patients, that rash was keeping them from living the life they wanted. Imagine if your skin was constantly itchy and burning, and then imagine what that must feel like on a day like today (97 degrees here in Hermitage!). If you've ever had an itch like this, you know that it can drive you crazy! Not only is it irritating and painful, but some of these conditions can be unsightly and keep people from wearing comfortable clothing or even going out in public. The treatments these patients receive are life changing, and to me... that's not boring at all! Not everyone was a first time fix, but I loved seeing smiling patients come back in for their follow-up! 

In addition to the common "rashes" such as contact dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, and acne, I also saw rarer conditions of Pemphigus Vulgaris (a blistering disorder) and Lupus. And then there was a lot of fungus, some scabies (eeee!) and sooooo many more... but I would bore you with a huge list of medical mumbo-jumbo and the teacher in me would feel the need to explain everything... ha! Needless to say I went home daily thinking I had a new skin condition and with the feeling of "itch"! lol... 

I also saw a lot of cosmetics throughout my rotation, including Botox injections and fillers. Who knew that a bottle of Botox in your armpits could keep you from sweating like a madwoman?! Sign me up =)!

The days moved quickly and it was a nice mixture of medical conditions, cosmetics, and procedures. Anyways... I survived the first rotation and added Dermatology to my list of possible specialties =).

Next up is General Surgery and somehow, I was lucky enough to have this rotation in Hermitage as well... Stay tuned to see how that goes and hopefully I can snag a few pictures of wound care to share... just kidding! I really spared you the gross details of some Derm procedures (like the cyst I&D)! haha

After my mom spent 1/2 a day in my baking apartment, she bought me another air conditioner... so I plan to stay cool this weekend. Thanks mom!! You're a life saver, as always!

Stay cool everyone!

~ Lacie



No comments:

Post a Comment